Saturday 30 May 2015

Words & Wonders (3)

Welcome to Words & Wonders, a weekly journal of writing updates, links I've found useful or interesting, and book recommendations. I hope W&W will prove to be useful to you writers out there as well as offering an insight into my writing progress for my readers. Don't forget to leave a comment with your own writing progress!

In the Writing Cave, this week I have:

- Written 1,111 words of The Legend Mirror book 3. For why I've written so little this week, see how many pages I edited!!

- Second drafted 76 pages of The Dryad of Callaire. I've realised this book is a lot less involved with finding Fray than surviving Numina attempts to murder everyone. Which is a great subplot but not ... y'know, the actual plot. So the first draft of DRYAD is going to look significantly different to the final, because I need to overhaul the main plot, remove a lot of chapters, and add a lot of chapters. Which isn't the best news, since this draft is already a good 25K over my desired word-count. 

But yesterday I went editing crazy because I was so desperate to be finished, and I second drafted 29 pages, so I'm happy with that achievement at least! And now I can move on to fixing all the problems with the book, which should be interesting.


Almost killed another pen!!
In my life:

- Not much, to be honest. Mostly I've been editing like mad and reading in the gaps between working.

On the internet, this week I found useful:

- Maggie Stiefvater's post on literary devices
- Chuck Wendig's post on Mad Max: Fury Road, which I still haven't seen yet but want to a little more with every new thing I learn about it!
- The Weird Story Planning Stage, by Jodi Meadows
- A post in favour of healthy friendships in books (a matter that is SO important to me, too!)

Here is a book I have loved recently:




A tense, action-packed superhero/supervillain story where the heroes are the bad guys, an ordinary girl is forced to find power in herself when her mum goes missing, and a rag-tag gang have to shut down the hero agenda before they kill more villains. It's HELLA awesome and kinda broke my heart at the end. You can read my full review over on my review blog and also enter to win a copy of the book and a necklace!

Hope you're all having a great weekend!
~Saruuh

No comments:

Post a Comment